Home / Insights / Can I Change my Name When I Naturalize?

Can I Change my Name When I Naturalize?

by | Apr 11, 2016 | Immigration, Immigration Tips

USCIS does not have the authority to change a person’s name when they naturalize.   However, you can request that USCIS issues a Certificate of Naturalization under a new name if:

  • You present proof that you have already legally changed your name.   Such proof could be a Marriage Certificate, Divorce Decree or Court Order with your new name.
  • You take the Oath of Allegiance at a Naturalization Ceremony that is held in a Court.   Then, you can ask the Court to change your name.   If the Court grants your request, your new name will be in the Certificate



Get in Touch with Us

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.


Marks Gray P.A.

Connect with Us