Home / Insights / Book Excerpt: FAQs about Curricular Practical Training (CPT) for F-1 Students

Book Excerpt: FAQs about Curricular Practical Training (CPT) for F-1 Students

by | Jun 29, 2017 | FAQ, Immigration

Here is an excerpt from the “F-1 Visa for Students” chapter in Giselle Carson’s book Beyond the H-1B: A Guide to Work Visa Options for Employers, Foreign Nationals, and Graduating Students, which is available for purchase on Amazon.

Is CPT a separate visa status?

No, CPT is a benefit of F-1 status. While engaged in CPT, you are still considered to be in F-1 status under the visa sponsorship of your college or university.

Does using CPT affect my eligibility for OPT?

Yes, if you use 12 months or more of full-time CPT authorization, you will lose eligibility for OPT at that academic level. Part-time CPT should not affect OPT eligibility.

Can I change how many hours I work?

Yes, but only within the limits of your authorization (20 hours or less per week for part-time and more than 20 hours for full-time). You may not change from part-time to full-time without a new authorization.

Can I change employers?

No, CPT is employer-specific. You must apply for a new CPT authorization before changing employers. You could work for more than one employer, but you must obtain separate authorization for each.

How do I extend my CPT?

You are only authorized to work for the specific time period listed on your I-20. You need a new CPT authorization to work beyond the end date listed on your I-20.



Get in Touch with Us

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.


Marks Gray P.A.

Connect with Us