Home / Insights / Notifying USCIS of a Change of Address Is Important!

Notifying USCIS of a Change of Address Is Important!

by | May 26, 2016 | Immigration, Immigration Tips

Our team receives numerous questions regarding this topic and this post provides guidance and answers to your FAQ’s about changing your address with the USCIS.

It is the responsibility of foreigners undergoing an immigration process in the U.S. to notify USCIS of their current address.

How do I change my address with USCIS?
You must notify USCIS of your address changes in one of the following ways:

  1. Online: USCIS Online Change of Address (recommended)*
  2. By mail: Download Form AR-11 and Instructions(PDF, 1 page – 370 KB) or
  3. By calling 1-800-375-5283.  If you call, you will still need to complete and submit the AR-11 form noted above.

How soon after my move should I notify USCIS of my new address?
Most non-U.S. citizens must notify USCIS of a new address within 10 days of moving.

U.S. Citizens are required to notify USCIS of a change of address if they have previously submitted a Form I-864, Affidavit of Support, on behalf of someone who has become a permanent resident. If you have previously submitted a Form I-864 for someone who immigrated to the U.S., and that sponsorship agreement is still in force, you must complete a Form I-865, Sponsor’s Notice of Change of Address, within 30 days of the change in address.

Is changing my address with the post office enough?
No. If you only change your address with the post office, you may not receive important notices about your case. U.S. Postal Service does not forward most USCIS correspondence.

Do I have to submit a change of address for every pending application or petition?
Yes.  To ensure that all USCIS correspondence is sent to your current address, you must submit a change of address for every pending application and/or petition that you have with USCIS.

Where can I find additional information about reporting an address change to USCIS?
Additional details can be found at:  How Do I Report a Change of Address to USCIS?



Get in Touch with Us

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.


Marks Gray P.A.

Connect with Us