Edward L. Birk
1200 Riverplace Boulevard
Jacksonville, FL 32207
Tel: (904) 398-0900
Fax: (904) 399-8440
- Practices primarily in the areas of employment law, products liability, ERISA and media law
- Concentrates in severance agreements, employment contracts, non-competition agreements, and employee benefits-ERISA, as well as EEO discrimination litigation based on gender, pregnancy, age, disability, and race
- Defends product liability lawsuits
- Also practices in First Amendment-media law, medical malpractice, and products liability defense
- Prior to starting his law practice, Ed Birk worked as a reporter and editor for The Associated Press in Boston, Miami and Tallahassee
Professional and Community Involvement
- Jacksonville Association of Defense Counsel: President 2005-2006
- Jacksonville Bar Association
- Florida Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Association of Defense Trial Attorneys; Treasurer 2013
Ed Birk attended the University of Massachusetts-Amherst where he received his B.A. in Journalism in 1983. He earned his J.D. with honors in 1995 from Florida State University College of Law. He was the Editor-in-Chief of Florida State University Law Review.
His civil litigation practice focuses on the following areas of law: E.R.I.S.A. Benefits; Employment; Fair Labor Standards Act; Products Liability; First Amendment and News Media Law.
Mr. Birk has practiced with Marks Gray, P.A. since June 1999 and as a partner in the law firm since January 2003. Mr. Birk was named in 2013, 2014 and 2015 Best Lawyers in America and also a Super Lawyer (2013, 2014, 2016) by Florida Super Lawyers® magazine.
Previously, he served as law clerk to U.S. District Judge Lacy A. Collier. Before becoming a lawyer, Mr. Birk worked as a reporter and editor for The Associated Press in Boston, Miami and Tallahassee from 1983 to 1989. He also worked for the Florida Department of Highway Safety & Motor Vehicles, as Public Information Administrator from 1989 to 1992. He is a member of the Jacksonville Association of Defense Counsel, Jacksonville and Florida Bar Associations, the Association of Defense Trial Attorneys; Treasurer 2013 and Rotary International- Ponte Vedra Florida Sunrise Club.
Mr. Birk’s publications include:
EDWARD L. BIRK, The Defense Speaks, Chapter 14: Interviewing Witnesses, FLORIDA DEFENSE LAWYERS ASSOCIATION (2006)
EDWARD L. BIRK, Employment Lawyers: If you want to litigate, do not investigate; TRIAL ADVOCATE QUARTERLY, FLORIDA DEFENSE LAWYERS ASSOCIATION (SUMMER 2002).
EDWARD L. BIRK, AMERICAN INNS OF COURT SERIES ON FLORIDA CIVIL PROCEDURE & PRACTICE, Chapter 3: Burden of Proof and Presumptions, Lawyers Cooperative Publishing (1996)
EDWARD L. BIRK, NOTE, Protecting Truthful Advertising by Attorney-CPAs-Ibanez v. Florida Department of Business Regulation, 114 S.Ct. 2084, 23 FLA. ST. UNIV. L. REV. 77 (1995).
Among the cases he has handled are:
Ball v. Heilig-Myers Furniture Co., 35 F. Supp. 2d 1371
(M.D. Fla. 1999)
Cox v. Denny’s, 1999 WL 1317785
(M.D. Fla. Dec. 22, 1999)
International Longshoremen’s Association v. Fisher, et al., 800 So. 2d 339 (Fla. 1st DCA 2001)
Morris Communications, LLC v. Florida, 8447 So. 2d 671
(Fla. 1st DCA 2003)